Common Indoor Air Quality Issues
While living in San Diego is great for its weather, size, and more, its residents can also have common problems with their indoor air quality that they don’t even think about. IAQ issues can be detrimental to one’s health, so it is important to always be aware of issues that can cause problems. Read along to our guide below of some of the biggest IAQ issues in San Diego, and ways that you can prevent them.
What Are Some Common IAQ Issues in San Diego?
While it may not seem like it, things all around us can lead to issues with indoor air quality for your San Diego home. Some common issues that you should be aware of include:
- Pollen Allergens – The mild temperature and low humidity climate of San Diego makes it primed for pollen allergies throughout the year. Pollen from all different types of sources can find its way into your home, so it is smart to have a air purification system.
- Wildfire Smoke – Especially in California, wildfires have become a common occurrence. These massive fires release smoke and harmful pollutants into the air. This can affect you even if you live hundreds of miles away as it travels through the air. During these types of events, it is very important to keep your windows and doors closed throughout the day.
- Mold and Moisture – Plumbing problems and leaky roofs can cause moisture to make its way into your vents, creating mold, and leaving you with an IAQ problem in your home. This can cause a wide range of issues from allergies to even respiratory infections in some cases.
- Pet Dander and Dust – Like many homes, our furry friends are part of our family. But they can leave behind dander and fur that cause allergies and exacerbate respiratory conditions. It is important to frequently vacuum and clean after your pets.
- Poor Ventilation – Insufficient ventilation, while great for energy consumption, can be an issue when it comes to IAQ. Reused indoor air can be filled with pollutants and allergens.
How To Prevent IAQ Issues
The best ways to prevent indoor air quality issues for your San Diego home is to invest in a proper HEPA air filter. These can be a great way to remove all pollutants from the air in your home. Other ways to prevent these issues include frequent HVAC maintenance, sealing all windows and other ways that pollutants can get in, and maintaining cleanliness in your home.
Overall, it is very important to keep your home safe from IAQ issues that can cause problems to your health. If you ever have any questions about IAQ or need any HVAC maintenance or help, Same Day Heating, Cooling, Plumbing is here for you. Any of our certified HVAC technicians are here to help with anything you may need.