How To Save Air Conditioning Energy
For the average home, air conditioning makes up almost 20% of the energy usage. So if you’re looking for a way to save money on your air conditioning bill this summer, and save on utilities throughout the year, the air conditioner and your HVAC is generally one of the most impactful places to start.
Saving money on your air conditioner is also easier than you might think, and there are a few very effective and low-maintenance techniques and tips you can use to reduce your costs. These fall into categories related to how you use your A/C, and how well your home is outfitted for energy and a/c efficiency.
Save Air Conditioning Energy With Small Changes To Your Daily Routine
- Prepare meals that don’t require the oven or stovetop, as both increase the overall temperature indoors —use this as a great excuse to cook outside
- Open windows at night to allow cool air in, and turn on fans to circulate air
- Close windows, blinds, and drapes as soon as the temperature increases to block out radiant heat
- Take cooler showers, and/or shorter ones, to reduce the amount of heat generated in the bathroom
Save Energy Year-Round With Small Home Improvement Projects
If you’re willing to spend a little bit of money up front or take on some DIY projects, there are even more ways you can cut down the expenditure from your air conditioning unit. Whether you’re as handy as they come or need to recruit professional help, these changes offer a noticeable ROI for your home:
- Install ceiling fans in large rooms
- Consider adding a shade sail or awning outside if you have large windows with sun exposure
- Upgrade windows and doors to increase your home’s efficiency, especially if you have older windows
- Switch to an automatic, programmable thermostat so you can set the temperature warmer while you’re away
- Upgrade or add insulation to walls, attics, and crawlspaces
- If you can, take advantage of an annual maintenance plan. This will tell you exactly where your home needs efficiency upgrades to help everything run more cost-effectively
- Service your air conditioning unit regularly, and consider replacing it. Wondering if it’s time to upgrade your air conditioning system? Call (619) 762-3014 or schedule an appointment online to learn more
- Check window and door seals for air leaks, and reseal or caulk them as needed to prevent cool air from escaping unnecessarily
The additional benefit is that many of these environmental changes will help your home run more efficiently in the winter months as well, so your heating costs will trend down all year long, and in the long term.
For more resources about home air conditioning energy, visit our resource center online anytime, or give us a call (619) 762-3014 to speak to an HVAC professional.