Why is My AC Making a Buzzing Noise?
Have you ever noticed an annoying buzzing sound coming from your air conditioner unit? Not only is it a hindrance to your comfort at home, but it could signal problems with your unit as a whole. At a normal level of operation, your air conditioning unit should not be emitting any noise louder than a low hum. So, why is your AC making a buzzing noise? It could be happening for any number of reasons. Read through our guide to your AC below to find out what it might be!
What Could a Buzzing Noise Mean?
There are a variety of reasons that your AC could be making a buzzing noise. If you notice a noise coming from your unit, be sure to check on these things below.
- Your unit may be frozen.
- If you notice a buzzing sound, the system could be frozen from being overrun. You may be dealing with a refrigerant leak within the system, or you might have just been running it for too long of a period. If this is the issue, turn off your unit and let it sit for a few hours. This should allow it to thaw out.
- There may be loose parts within your unit.
- A piece of your AC unit may have become dislodged and moving around within the system. Be sure to get this checked out as it could cause greater, more expensive problems down the line.
- There could be problems with your compressor or condenser.
- This could mean the fan within the unit is not working properly due to debris falling in the outdoor unit, refrigerant is not being properly cooled and pressurized, or you could just have a failing system. All could stem from a broken condenser or compressor.
These are three of the main reasons that your system could be making a buzzing noise. Be sure to look out for these issues first when you notice your unit making noise.
What Should I Do?
The first thing you should do when you start to notice a loud buzzing noise coming from your AC unit is turn off the system. With that in mind, you can then begin to complete any self-diagnosis DIY checks that you can think of. This could include checking for debris in and around your outdoor unit, noticing any missing or loose parts in or around your unit, or any damage to the unit itself.
If you do not notice anything on any of your self-checks, then it is time to call in a professional to take a look at things. Luckily, that is where Same Day Heating and Air Conditioning can come to help. Our professionals can come in and perform a diagnosis on your AC unit and tell you exactly what is wrong, and exactly will need to be done in order to fix it. We offer AC tune-ups, replacements, and repairs. Visit us today for any AC unit needs that you have!